Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Art of Contentment - Martin Wiles

I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content. Philippians 4:11 NKJV

Four months and several medications later, my wife finally found contentment.

A casual walk around a local college’s track with our grandson brought on what she hadn’t been troubled with in quite some time: PVC’s (premature ventricular contractions). A visit to the doctor and a resulting EKG revealed numerous PVC’s. Several options were available: take medicine, have an ablation, implant a pacemaker, or do nothing and risk her heart muscles being weakened. We chose medicine, but several months and several medicines later the doctor informed us the medicine route wasn’t working. 

After the four hour surgical procedure was over, the doctor entered the room. The areas where the PVCs were occurring were extensive. He got most of them, but some were in risky areas. Hopefully, he burned enough to give her relief. As the nurses rolled her back into the room and hooked up the blood pressure and pulse machine, we anxiously awaited the first reading. Contentment came when we saw the first reading. Blood pressure was good, and her pulse was in a higher range.  

Paul learned the art of contentment over a lifetime of serving Christ. His circumstances were often unpleasant—some even life threatening. As he neared the end of his life, he confessed he had achieved his goal of contentment. 

I can’t say I’ve reached the pinnacle Paul had, but I’m learning. Life experiences continually remind me God has my circumstances under control. I couldn’t fix my wife’s heart problems any more than I could a precarious financial situation. Or a broken relationship. Or an unwanted employment termination. What I can do is trust the One who can and will if I ask. 

My wife and I have also learned that contentment comes by laughing our way through our difficult times. If we can’t fix them, we might as well laugh at them. Laughter is good medicine and doesn’t diminish our trust in God. Rather, it reflects the joy in our souls and the trust we have that God will bring good out of all situations. 

Take some measured steps to help you learn the art of contentment.

Prayer: Father, we thank You that we can trust You to do what’s best in all our circumstances. 


Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.  







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment