Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Cut by the Word - Martin Wiles

For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.  Hebrews 4:12 NLT

As a young boy, collecting knives was one of my hobbies. I had large ones I carried in a sheath and small ones that easily fit into my pocket. Some I had to manually open; others opened at the push of a button. I kept my collection in a jewelry box and added to it frequently. Making sure my knives were sharp was also essential. Dull knives served no purpose. I wanted them keen enough to trim the hair on my arms. Though I no longer collect, I still carry a small knife with me wherever I go. With a knife, I can cut string, tighten screws, loosen a knot, skin a squirrel, process a deer, and any number of other things. 

The writer compared God’s Word to a knife, and I’ve experienced the similarities. Like my knife, I’ve found God’s Word to be incredibly practical. If I need to loosen or tighten a screw and don’t have a screwdriver handy, my knife will do just fine. Preparing game killed for consumption also requires a knife. How many pioneers and Native Americans survived in part because of a knife? In like manner, God’s Word gives me advice about friendships, finances, child rearing, marital relationships, employee employer associations, and most importantly God and me affairs. 

There’s also a deadly element to a knife. It can and is often used to kill. When it is, it penetrates deep into the essential parts of living things, severely damaging vital organs and leading to deadly blood loss. God’s Word won’t kill me, but it does slice deeply into the joints and marrow of my soul. The part of me that relates to God. The chunk from which my emotions and thoughts are molded and the segment that will prompt me toward harmful and sinful actions if not quickly squelched. The instructions of God’s Word warn against such actions while at the same time propel me toward a better way. 

God’s Word is living and powerful. Are you letting it cut to the chase in your life?

Prayer: Merciful God, we give You thanks for giving us Your Word to warn us about potential mistakes and give us instruction for godly living.

 ______________________________


Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment