Monday, February 23, 2015

Where Do You Go When There’s Trouble? - Martin Wiles

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2 KJV

The news rattled my brain and troubled my soul. Receiving the disturbing news was only half the battle. Now I was faced with what to do. I had never dealt with a situation quite like this and needed guidance. I needed someone who was wise in age and experience. Finally thinking of someone, I called, explained, and asked for wisdom. Yet one person didn’t seem enough. I called two more—one a close friend and the other a trusted peer. Most importantly, I prayed. While God could use others, I needed to hear him as well as them. When I finally acted on the information I’d received, I felt confident I’d made the right decision. 

When trouble strikes, I’ve discovered it’s beneficial to have a few trusted peers I can seek out for advice. Peers are often neutral to the situation and can therefore give impartial advice. If they happen to be in a similar profession, their advice becomes even more valuable. There were times in his life when the psalmist David sought help from his peers.

Wise friends are comforting when trouble arrives. Having someone to share with who I know won’t judge me but at the same time will give me honest advice is important. Good friends know me inside and out and are able to tailor their advice accordingly. David had a good friend in the king’s son, Jonathan.

Reputable authors are also a good source of advice when difficulties come. The chances are great there’s a book addressing the trouble I’m facing at any given time.

The best person to go to when dilemmas appear is God. David didn’t look to the hills but to God. Through prayer and the reading of his Word, I can find guidance, strength, peace, and comfort in the midst of my disconcerting situation. Through these means, I hear and feel God’s Spirit speaking to my spirit and comforting my soul. 

Trouble will come, but where will you turn when it does?

Prayer: God of wisdom and grace, comfort us in our times of trouble that we might also comfort others.

______________________________


Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

4 comments:

  1. It is always good to seek wise counsel, and to seek God!

    visiting from Titus2Tuesday Linkup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful reminder to turn to Him in our troubles. Great to meet you on the T2T linkup. Have a great day, Kim Stewart
    http://www.kimstewartinspired.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Titus 2 Tuesday - one thing I've tried to concentrate on lately is relying on God to solve my problems more than Google! Whenever I have a problem (like one of my kids is going through a difficult phase and I'm not sure what to do,) I hop on Google. Which is good, I think having so much information at our fingertips is a blessing. But I should never let that replace my faith in God to help with those problems, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a difficult time lately balancing life in general. Between suffering from depression, my husband losing his job, experiencing financial difficulties, having a teenager run away and other health issues, I wondered if it was ever going to end. This post has reminded me that I am not alone and don't need to attempt to "fix" everything myself. I do have places to turn to for help and advice, I just need the courage (and the prompting, like this post has done!) to do it. Thanks so much. Stopping by from Titus 2 Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete