Monday, June 2, 2014

Shaken Faith by Martin Wiles

Life events may temporarily shake my faith, but they can’t destroy it.

Like most people’s, my life’s been a journey of mountains and valley experiences. I’ve enjoyed numerous good things along with pleasurable occasions, but the good has been sprinkled with challenges. Fortunately, none of the down times have shaken my faith. Perhaps because I witnessed my parents maintain their resolve to follow God regardless of the circumstances. Or maybe because I’ve seen so many others remain steadfast as well. But I’ve also known some whose faith was shaken by unpleasant life events. Some merely questioned God but kept following him. Others walked away, not able to reconcile their dilemmas with a good God. Still others meandered somewhere between abandonment and obedience. 

One of Jesus’ very own disciples wasn’t immune to shaken faith. “We have seen the Lord!” But he (Thomas) replied, “I won’t believe it unless I see the nail wounds in his hands, put my fingers into them, and place my hand into the wound in his side.” (John 20:24-25 NLT)

Thankfully, God doesn’t discard me as unworthy to be his child when my faith is temporarily shaken. Jesus eventually revealed what Thomas requested. Having created me and taken on human flesh himself, God understands my weaknesses…how easy it is for doubts and misgivings to unsettle me. Since faith in the spiritual excludes the tangible, it’s even easier for my faith to be dazed during turbulent times. 

Re-emphasizing my faith in times of senseless tragedies and extreme hardship makes it stronger than it was previously. I’m able to take this step because I’m convinced God has my best interests at heart. Satan attempts to kill, steal, and destroy…not God. He may allow Satan to sift me, but his purpose is to hone my faith, not shake it. And it won’t be when it’s firmly planted in Christ. 

Are you experiencing shaken faith? Let God’s love and promises stabilize your uncertainty. 

Prayer: Father in heaven, when things come that have the potential to shake our faith in You, remind us of Your love and faithfulness. 

Begin each day with a dose of encouraging thoughts. Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment