Thursday, April 10, 2014

When Sin Gets Comfortable by Martin Wiles

What happens when what I once feared I no longer dread?

As a child, I was terrified of the darkness. My parent’s solution was to assure me there was nothing in the darkness that wasn’t present in the light—which I discovered later was not exactly the truth, and to make me walk into dark rooms or yards. Eventually, my fear of the darkness dissipated. Now I will stroll through a darkened church or school building with no thought at all of danger lurking in every corner. I may walk outside at night without a flashlight and even sleep without a nightlight. I’ve become comfortable with darkness. 

But Peter warns of something I should never get comfortable with: Satan’s presence and the sin he invites. He loves to prowl around in dark areas. Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. (I Peter 5:8 NLT)

When I get too comfortable with sin—mine or others, I will lower my guard. Like a mountain climber who gradually becomes acclimated to higher elevations, I’ll not be as shocked as I once was when I see or hear sinful activity.

If I become too comfortable with sin, I may also take an alternate route and believe I’m beyond falling prey to sinful actions. When I think I’m above falling, I invite Satan into my prideful stance. What I think I’m above doing, he’ll show me I’m not. Paul said it best, If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall (I Corinthians 10:12 NLT). 

Becoming comfortable with sin also demonstrates I’ve forgotten God’s view of it. He’s holy and cannot connect with anything or anyone who isn’t. While I’m made righteous in Christ, I must continually tend to my words, actions, and thoughts to make sure they’re pure in his sight.

Have you grown too comfortable with sin in general or sinful actions in particular?

Prayer: Merciful Lord, help us never become at ease with what breaks Your heart. 

Begin each day with a dose of encouraging thoughts. Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment