Saturday, December 7, 2013

Make a Difference by Martin Wiles

“What difference will it make if I…?”

I’ve asked myself that question numerous times before taking certain actions, and I wonder if Moses did too. He was on a mountaintop receiving the Commandments, but God’s people were down below rebelling. He was staying too long. What happened to him? His brother told the people to bring all their gold and then shaped it into the form of a golden calf and proclaimed it their god. God informed Moses, and he hurried down the mountain to a melee of pagan revelry. God’s plan? To wipe them out in a blaze of anger.

But Moses intervened and pleaded for God’s mercy. So he declared he would destroy them. But Moses, his chosen one, stepped between the LORD and the people. (Psalm 106:23 NLT)

Believing I can make a difference often requires changing mindsets. The combination of things that happen in most children’s childhood years—plus the challenges faced in adulthood, can make it simple for almost anyone to have feelings of insignificance and unimportance. But being connected to God by faith makes me a child of the King and a joint-heir with Christ. I can do all things through him because I have his Spirit residing in me. I must learn to see myself as God sees me.

Since God knows my present and future, he also knows how he wants me to make a difference. For a few, the differences they make are very significant, but the world has only known a few Billy Graham’s and Mother Teresa’s. Most of us make a difference through the little things we do. Filling someone’s gas tank, taking a shut-in neighbor to the doctor, working at a local food bank, giving diapers and baby wipes to a local pregnancy crisis center.

Regardless of whom you are, where you live, or the messages you’ve heard, you too can make a difference. Be a Moses.

Prayer: Lord God, direct us to where we can make a difference for You today.

Begin each day with a dose of encouraging thoughts. Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment