Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Empty Nesting by Martin Wiles

In the space of two short years, I found myself mired in the empty nest syndrome.

One of life’s eye opening experiences was when I could no longer say I had a daughter or son in high school. Two years after my daughter left for college, my teenage son decided to move in with his mom. All of a sudden, the house was empty. No one’s dirty clothes to pick up. No one to cook meals for. No one’s laundry to wash. With the exception of the television or radio…silence. And it wasn’t golden.

One of life’s rites of passage is being on our own. Children will leave the nest. Perhaps this is why Solomon said, Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it. (Proverbs 22:6 NLT)

Realizing one of my parental responsibilities was preparing my children to leave helped me accept the empty nest. God didn’t plan for my children to remain with me forever. I was simply to direct them to the right path.

Keeping in frequent contact helped me endure the empty nest syndrome. At present, this is easy, but there were many years when it was difficult. An occasional text or phone call was all I received.

Relishing their childhood memories also made living alone easier. Looking through old photo albums as well as walking down memory lane whenever they were around always put a smile on my face.

After a period of time, the shock and sadness of the empty nest lessened. I unearthed time to pursue hobbies and interests I couldn’t before. I’ve learned to trust my children into God’s care. I can’t control their decisions, but I can pray for them and ask God to give me peace and contentment.

Fill your empty nest by spending more time with God.

Prayer: Father, when we’re feeling alone, remind us You will never leave or forsake us.

Martin N MichelleHelp spread the encouragement by sharing this site with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment