Monday, November 25, 2013

Declaring God’s Glory by Martin Wiles

“Even a dairymaid can milk cows to the glory of God.” So said and thought Martin Luther, that great German reformer.

As I sat in the theater watching the actors play out their respective roles, I was amazed by the lighting controlled from above. Spotlights accurately shone on whatever actor or group of actors were performing their feature renditions. Others may have been occupying the stage as well, but only shadows fell across them. They could only hope enough light would bounce off the star players so they could maneuver their way around as they awaited their next appearance in the spotlight.

Somehow for me, a milkmaid and a stage spotlight resemble proclaiming God’s glory. The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display his craftsmanship. (Psalm 19:1 NLT)

When I look at nature, I see God’s glory. Leaves that change in the fall revealing their true colors. Millions of stars hanging in the night sky. Weeds of all shapes and sizes blooming by the roadside. A baby giraffe being born. Ferocious winds churning inside a powerful hurricane. The beauty of nature is not a freak accident but a product of God’s hand.

Like nature, I can show God’s glory to others by allowing the fruit of his indwelling Spirit to radiate in my life. The fruits of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and self-control. Fruits that make others take a second glance because they are so unfamiliar to them…but enticing nonetheless.

And I demonstrate God’s glory best when I use those fruits in the lives of others. Jesus said to let my good works show God’s glory to others. So whether I’m a milkmaid, farmer, priest, engineer, custodian, mechanic, or the President, I can glorify God with my life.

Are you letting God’s glory shine through you?

Prayer: Father in heaven, may the mediations of our heart, the words of our mouths, and the deeds of our hands radiate Your love to others.

Need a fresh perspective on money matters? Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment