Monday, September 30, 2013

Planting Seeds by Martin Wiles

How could one tree grow so tall and stout?

While walking our dog one afternoon, I observed something I’d never noticed before. An oak tree at least one hundred feet tall. Since the subdivision we live in was once wooded, it’s doubtful anyone planted this tree. Its beginning no doubt started when an acorn fell from a neighboring tree or when a squirrel planted an acorn. Had the acorn never fell or been planted, the tree would never have existed.

Jesus uses a similar scenario when illustrating how the gospel seed must be planted for it to be effective. I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels (John 12:24 NLT).

I plant the gospel seed through specific efforts. Taking part in a visitation program. Sending letters or cards to those who’ve visited my church. Becoming a part of a witnessing training class. Volunteering at a local feeding program for the homeless or at a shelter for abused women. Specific opportunities abound.

I also plant gospel seeds through a general awareness of daily opportunities to speak about my Savior. Maybe to someone I’m waiting in line behind at the local retail store. Or to the salesperson helping me with an item I intend to purchase. Or to the person seated beside me on the plane.

But perhaps the most effective way for me to sow gospel seed is through a consistent godly lifestyle that demonstrates my love for the One who gave his life for my sins. How I talk, what attitudes I display, and how I respond to circumstances speaks volumes without me having to say a word.

Ask God to reveal one way you can sow the gospel seed.

Prayer: Thank You Father for entrusting Your message of love to us. Prompt us to share it daily with those You place in our path.

 
 
Need a fresh perspective on money matters? Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment