Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Confronting Doubts by Martin Wiles

I suppose I believed he could, but I really didn’t think he would.

My wife and I accumulated a significant debt while working for a small religious organization. After three years, we left not knowing how to rectify our situation. We prayed diligently, but nothing changed. My wife had faith it would; I had doubts it could. Until the right person contacted my wife. In a matter of days, our debt was erased.

“Doubting Thomas” also struggled with doubts. When the other disciples told him they had encountered the resurrected Jesus, he said, “I won’t believe it unless I see the nail wounds in his hands, put my fingers into them, and place my hand into the wound in his side (John 20:25 NLT).”

Doubting God demonstrates my lack of faith, and this in itself will prevent him from answering my prayers and using me fully. When I find myself doubting, I begin by examining the source of the doubt. The source may be Satan or simply the frightening circumstances I’m facing.

I’ve also been known to cry out like the father who wanted Jesus to heal his demon possessed son: I do believe; help my unbelief (Mark 9:24 NASB). God understands how difficult it is for us to trust him sometimes.

I also confront doubts by trusting in the absence of proof to the contrary. God told Abraham a multitude of people would be born through his son Isaac but then asked him to sacrifice his son. He trusted God even when it wasn’t logical.

More comforting in periods of doubt is the small whisper of God’s Spirit speaking to mine saying trust, things will work out. This is God’s stamp of approval on my determination to trust him regardless.

Are you struggling with doubts? Entrust them to God and then follow his direction.

Prayer: Thank You Father for understanding our doubts but for also driving them away when we trust You in faith.

Need a fresh perspective on money matters? Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment