Monday, July 15, 2013

Eating the Good Stuff by Martin Wiles

Confession time: I love to eat.

I once could eat as much as I wanted without it affecting the scales. Little Debbie’s, Krispy Kreme doughnuts (chocolate covered), fried chicken, apple pies, pound cakes, biscuits and homemade syrup, rice and gravy. But as the years accumulated, it became obvious my metabolism had slowed.

Food is important, but eating the right types and amounts is also essential. Too much of even a good thing is bad. Exercise is also important. This keeps all the parts functioning smoothly and helps burn calories from those “not good for me” excursions I often take.

But according to Jesus, the good stuff isn’t discovered in a can, the frozen section of the grocery store, or hanging on a vine. Rather, it’s within God’s Word. When his disciples were concerned about his not eating, he explained, “My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing his work (John 4:34 NLT).”

A recent survey by the American Bible Society found 88% of Americans own a Bible and 80% say it’s sacred. (Pipes, Carol and Russ Rankin, “Americans value the Bible, but few read it.” Facts & Trends Summer 2013: 24-25. Print.) Sadly, according to LifeWay Research, only 26% read it a few times a week  and a mere 19% read it daily (same source).

Spiritual nourishment, however, is more than just reading the Bible. I’ve been doing that since I was a child, but I’ve not always been nourished by it. The principles only become advantageous to my spiritual health when I make life application. Jesus’ good stuff was taking the principles and marrying them to God’s will for his life. Mine does too…and the delight surpasses even a Little Debbie.

Is your nourishment coming from the right place? If not, simply change pantries.

Prayer: Eternal God, remind us Your Word provides all we need to live abundantly and successfully.

Need a fresh perspective on money matters? Order your print or Kindle copy from Amazon today.

1 comment:

  1. A great post! The statistics you quoted from Lifeway both surprised & saddened me. Thank you for sharing this post & challenging us all to get the right nourishment each day. I was your neighbor at Hear It, Use It this morning.

    ReplyDelete