Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Curing Workplace Stress by Martin Wiles

Even though I work exclusively with Christians, my workplace can still get stressful. Evidently, I’m not alone.

According to a recent poll by The American Psychological Association, 83% of employees go to work even when they’re sick, 69% report their workplace as a significant source of stress, 41% say they feel stressed during the typical work day, 52% state they have considered changing jobs due to stress, and 52% maintain their jobs are interfering with family and home responsibilities. (“Workplace Stress.” Facts & Trends Summer 2013: 8. Print.)

Paul’s admonition to work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people (Colossians 3:23 NLT) isn’t the easiest advice to follow but it’s attainable when approached down the correct path.

Workplace stress is relieved when approached with the proper mindset. Regardless of who actually signs my paycheck, my employer is God. Since Creation, God assigned work. Before sin entered the picture, he gave Adam and Eve duties to accomplish. Work isn’t a curse but an honorable responsibility and act of worship.

Making sure I’m where God wants me is also pertinent to handling workplace stress. There’s nothing more stressful than working somewhere you intensely dislike…or working in an area God hasn’t gifted you for.

But I don’t have to work solely with believers to be stress free. Realizing my workplace is a witnessing field also helps keep stress to a minimum. When I’m using my gifts-and when I’m sure I’m where God wants me, I can work with pride and let my example be a witness to unbelievers…and any disgruntled believers that might be scattered about. (And they’re there. I know…I’ve been one.)

If your workplace is causing you stress, ask God to give you a new attitude about it.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, when work overwhelms us, remind us work is good and that we’re working for You.
Martin N Michelle
Know someone who's stressed? Why not pass this devotion along to them?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment