Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions by Martin Wiles

“What am I going to wear today?” For me, a no-brainer. As long as it’s not the same pair of pants and shirt I wore yesterday, it’s acceptable. In fact, I’ve been known to wear the same pair of slacks two days in a row-just not the same shirt.

Other decisions aren’t so easy. Which mutual fund should I invest in? Or should I just stick with stocks or bonds? Am I willing to give up my job so I can stay home and care for an aging parent? What college should I attend? Should I repair my car or trade it in for a new one?

Life is filled with decisions. Some require little thought while others take intense consideration and require more time. Some are trivial while others are vital. Knowing how to differentiate between good and bad and moral and immoral is essential. For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives (Philippians 1:10 NLT).

Any size decision should be prefaced by consulting God’s guidebook. The Bible may not speak to my specific situation…I don’t know of a verse telling me which mutual fund to invest in, but it does give general principles that relate to any specific circumstance.

When I meditate on the verses, God’s Spirit shows me how to apply them to my particular decision. This requires alone time with God…away from noisy surroundings, so I can clearly hear him.

Nor is “If it feels right do it,” good decision making advice. My feelings are fickle and change numerous times during the day. Good and bad, right and wrong, and sensible and insensible must enter the picture.

Let God in on the decisions you struggle with. He wants to help you choose according to his will.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, we admit we’re often helpless when it comes to making some decisions. Prompt us to include You in the process regardless of how insignificant the decision is.

Why not try one of my wife's favorite recipes? Visit the Recipe Page.


No comments:

Post a Comment