Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Underestimating God by Martin Wiles

There sat a jar full of jelly beans. My task? To guess the correct number so I could win a gift certificate. Of course, I didn’t win. I always either over or underestimate.

When it comes to God’s assignments, I also tend to underestimate my abilities. Gideon did too. The generation of Israelites who followed Joshua forgot God and the things he had done for Israel. God rewarded their disobedience by allowing foreign invaders to raid their land.

Among the marauders were Midianites. When they appeared, the Israelites fled to the mountains and caves and watched as their crops were destroyed. Life was at its lowest ebb when God chose Gideon to rescue Israel. His response demonstrated typical underestimation. How can I rescue Israel? My clan is the weakest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least in my entire family! (Judges 6:15 NLT)

Gideon’s response is often mine-“How can I…?” “I have no talents.” “Someone else can do a better job.” All responses that demonstrate low faith level. Like having low fuel in the tank, it won’t take me very far and evidences I’ve underestimated God’s ability through me. 

But there’s a positive side to underestimating God. When I recognize I have and acknowledge my insufficient faith level, it spurs me on to action. If the low fuel light appears in my car’s message center, I quickly locate a gas station.

Recognizing I’ve underestimated God should change my mindset. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, but the key is through Christ.

Gideon may have felt more comfortable with 32,000 soldiers, but God demonstrated how 300 with him is a more sizable force. Don’t underestimate what God can do through you. Tasks aren’t difficult or impossible when viewed through faith’s lenses.

Prayer: Merciful Savior, build our faith and trust in You so we’ll never underestimate You or ourselves when You assign us to a task.
My Photo
Thanks for stopping by. Why not try one of our delicious recipes along with this daily dose of encouragement?


No comments:

Post a Comment