Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The World’s Best Mirror by Martin Wiles

Turns out, the world’s clearest mirror isn’t a mirror after all.

I’m rarely pleased anymore when I glance in the mirror. My chest has taken up residence in my stomach area. My once muscular arms are now a little flabby, and my ears are more elongated. Most of my hair tired of my head long ago and fled to my nose and ears. And since my eyesight has deteriorated, my entire image is slightly blurred.

I’ve discovered my clearest mirror doesn’t hang on a wall but sits beside my recliner. All Scripture is inspired by God… It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people. (II Timothy 3:16-17 NLT). Origin makes the Bible reliable. It doesn’t contain the mere ideas of men who wrote something down for posterity but enshrines God-given words, ideas, and concepts.

God’s Word shows me who I was-a sinner with a spiritual death sentence placed on my head and who would eventually be confined to a very unpleasant eternity. My lot was everyone’s, for all have sinned (Romans 3:23).

But God’s Word also shows me who I am with Christ-a saint. Of course, I’m not perfect in practice, but I am in position. The Father sees me in Christ-the One who lived perfectly and died spotlessly.

More importantly, God’s record reflects who I can be. As I meditate on the Word, God’s Spirit shows me his standards so I can compare them with my practice. Furthermore, God assures me I can do all things through Christ. This includes making the necessary changes that enable me to more perfectly reflect him.

Let God’s Word reflect your present image so you can align it with God’s picture of you.

Prayer: Father we praise You for delivering Your perfect Word to us so we can see our reflection.

Why not top off this devotion by trying one of my wife's favorite recipes?


No comments:

Post a Comment