Monday, April 8, 2013

Waiting In Holiness by Martin Wiles

Tim told his story, and I listened enviously.

Fear of disappointing his godly mother kept Tim from succumbing to normal teenage temptations associated with peer pressure. He also knew if he did and got caught his parents would come for him and he wouldn’t like what they brought.


I wasn’t as wise. I didn’t want to disappoint my mom either-and I was a believer, but I allowed peer pressure to overtake good judgment. And my parents came. With discipline I didn’t enjoy and rules I despised. I wasn’t ready for the consequences.

Peter admonished his listeners to live spotless and blameless lives and prefaced it by reminding them Jesus was returning. So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him (II Peter 3:14).

Since the time of His return was unknown, it made sense to be continuously ready if they were to avoid unwelcome consequences.

In Christ I’ve received His righteousness, but in practice I have spiritual work to do and only a limited time to accomplish it. My death or His return can occur momentarily.  A journey toward spiritual maturity is essential and commanded. Children who don’t develop mentally or physically are diagnosed challenged. I am as well if I make no progress toward holiness in my actions, thoughts and attitudes.

Loving God supremely and others as ourselves establishes pure motives, setting us on a spiritual pilgrimage that prepares us to meet our Redeemer.

Reflection: Choose practices that enhance your journey toward holy living.

Pre-order your copy of my newest book by Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas. Now available from Amazon.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughtful and positive message in the GRAND Social. Wonderful to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete