Saturday, February 9, 2013

Different Is Okay by Martin Wiles

Series: Learning to Do Good

A part of me was like any other normal teenager…I wanted to fit in.

Clothing brand was important. Levis. Children with parents who cared at all about their child’s reputation made sure they wore them. Cut back on the groceries and the weekly hairdo. Cook at home. Just make sure it’s Levis. And shoes…Converse…high-top and preferably black. None of these generic brands from the local discount store. Work overtime if needed. Just get me Converse. And while I hated school, where I went was also important. Upon our move to a new town and my entrance into high school, my parents enrolled me in the most expensive local private school available.

But there was another part of me that thought, “I don’t care what anyone else thinks about…” Different is okay. From God’s viewpoint, that attitude is acceptable, preferable, and even expected. Therefore, come out from among unbelievers, and separate yourselves from them, says the LORD (II Corinthians 6:17 NLT). God had to repeatedly remind his people they were distinctive.

I can’t completely separate myself from sinners and sin. Both infected the world long ago when Adam and Eve chose to disobey God and pass on their sinful behavior to their progeny-me included. But I can be different by staying as close to God-things as possible. When I do, being like “others” loses most of its appeal-unless they’re like God.

Sinful influences will always attempt to pull us into their web, but keeping our eyes on the perfect pattern of Jesus Christ will entice us to be like him and different from the norm. Different really is okay. What will it take for you to be more like the person God created you to be? Whatever it is, he’ll provide the strength needed to succeed.

Prayer: Loving Savior, may our likenesses represent You even when they entail being different from the norms we observe in others.

A year's worth of devotions to start or finish your day on an encouraging note. Click the picture for ordering information. 

2 comments:

  1. Martin, I know that feeling of fitting in yet not fitting in - a parable, perhaps, of what most Christians experience in the world where we struggle to juggle a physical life with the spiritual. Thank you for your honesty and insight. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for popping into Sunday Snippets! I have enjoyed reading your devotionals, and have just spent a good 30 minutes looking through your blog :-)!

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete