Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Decisions and Money by Martin Wiles

"The job only pays 15….” Her voice trailed off. At the moment, I was unemployed and despondent, so $15 sounded enticing. Trouble was, my excitement had clouded the remainder of her statement. When I showed up for the final interview, I discovered the pay was $15 (thousand) annually, not $15 (dollars) hourly. Quite a difference, but I seized the offer. Poverty level was better than destitute level-my current status.

But I’ve also been known to turn down jobs because of the salary and benefits they didn’t offer. Money affected my decision, but it didn’t Judah’s King Amaziah. He wasn’t pleased with his fighting force, so he increased the size by hiring soldiers from Israel’s northern kingdom…a decision unpleasing to God. When confronted, he dismissed them even though he lost money.

Amaziah asked the man of God, “But what about all that silver I paid to hire the army of Israel?” The man of God replied, “The LORD is able to give you much more than this!” So Amaziah discharged the hired troops and sent them back to Ephraim (II Chronicles 25:9-10 NLT).

Money often affects decisions we make...where we work, who we date, who we marry, where we live, where we attend school or college, how many children we have, what type of vehicle we drive.

Whether it’s taking or refusing a job…or any other decision, money shouldn’t be the sole determining factor. Yes economies are governed by money…and it’s true we must have a certain amount to survive, but God’s will, plan, and purpose are far more important. I’ve made many decisions that weren’t financially sensible, but they were God’s will. Whether others understood wasn’t important. Obeying God was.  Don’t let the amount of financial gain determine your life’s course. Listen to God…then trust him to supply your needs.

Prayer: O God our Sustainer, You have created us for relationship with You. Increase our faith so that we’ll make our decisions based on Your plans and purposes, not financial gain.

Try one of my wife's favorite recipes. Visit the Recipe Room.


2 comments:

  1. Sound advice that stands the test of time!! Thank you. I have linked up right after you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job ! LBK全好貸我要借錢

    ReplyDelete