Thursday, October 4, 2012

Admitting Our Helplessness by Martin Wiles

Series: Conquering Depression

I was in a group but that didn’t alleviate my anxiety-nor did the fact we had an expert tour guide.

While I enjoy cave tours where I can ponder underground structures, hear the history of stalactites and stalagmites, watch fish mill about and view other animal life, there’s one part that makes me nervous. When the guide barks, “Now everyone stand very still,” and then slams the light switch to the “off” position, I get anxious. What if they don’t come back on, or what if the flashlight batteries die? Darkness is eerie; absolute darkness is nerve-racking.

David was a darkness expert. He slept in it while tending his father’s sheep, and he hid in it in a cave because a jealous king wanted him dead. The enemy pursues me, he crushes me to the ground; he makes me dwell in the darkness like those long dead (Psalm 143:3).

Depression often brings with it feelings of “darkness” and confinement, as if lingering under an ominous cloud that neither dissipates nor delivers rain. Conquering these periods of depression entails admitting our helplessness. I was vulnerable in the dark cave and so was David. I was at the guide’s mercy as he was the king’s. David may have been a future king, but presently he was a runaway warrior on the brink of depression. Helplessness isn’t easy to admit. We’re more likely to have an attitude of “There’s nothing I can’t conquer.” But like the addict who must confess their addiction before help can be effective, so conquering depression involves admitting to God we’re helpless to overcome without his assistance.

If you’re struggling with depression, admit your helplessness to God so he can direct you toward healing.

Prayer: Thank You Heavenly Father that when we’re at our weakest You’re at Your strongest.

DOWNLOAD MY NEW E BOOK, "AUTHENTIC CHRISTIANITY." A list of do’s and don’ts. For many this is what Christianity entails. Don’t lie. Don’t cheat. Don’t steal. Don’t lust after what others have or people of the opposite sex. Don’t swear. Or drink. Or smoke. Don’t, don’t, don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment