Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Talking With God by Martin Wiles

If she were alive today (2012), she would be 93. My paternal grandmother was special. Because I was the first grandchild I received abundant attention. And the fact that she babysat me added opportunities for spoiling.

I rode with her as she rang doorbells announcing “Avon calling” and watched as she crocheted for hours. But most of all I enjoyed our talks. Spiritual subjects were common as was family genealogy. She was the family matriarch and knew the answers. What saddened me today was a family question that ran through my mind yesterday and I couldn’t ask her.

Jesus’ disciples probably felt the same. He had answered their questions for three years but was now leaving. Only by his departure could the Spirit come. But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you (John 16:7).

God is Spirit. While we can’t talk to him face to face, we can in our spirits through prayer. We can’t hear him audibly, but when in a close relationship with him-which involves confessing known sin, his still small voice becomes as loud as if he were shouting at us.

Not having Jesus physically present shouldn’t dampen our spirits; he’s as close as a prayer. Remaining in a continual attitude of prayer makes us more aware of his presence and more in tune with his will for each situation.

Prayer is carrying on a conversation with God like we do with others. Our prayers should be reverent but don’t have to splattered with awkward words. Learn to talk to God like he’s your best friend.

Prayer: Thank You Heavenly Father for allowing us to approach Your throne of grace where we always find mercy and a listening ear.


1 comment: