Thursday, March 22, 2012

Doing Our Best

“It’s just a car,” I thought. “What does it matter if every inch gets clean?” But it did.

Dad had perfectionist tendencies when washing cars. I began helping him as a young boy, but we didn’t have water fights or soap scuffles. It was strictly business. The roof was washed first followed by the windows.

I didn’t understand why I couldn’t wash anywhere I wanted. Dad had a reason. It was foolish to let dirty water run over clean spots making it necessary to wash them again. Thus the reason for starting on top. After washing the roof and windows, we tackled the hood, trunk, sides and wheels in that order. I was amazed by how clean the car was when we finished.

Dad believed what the apostle wrote; In his grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well. (Romans 12:6 NLT)

I’ve noticed I still wash cars the same way Dad instructed, and I taught my children the same. Everything I do is done to the best of my ability. Not because I’m still trying to please my parents or because I think I can earn God’s favor. But because it’s my responsibility to do well what God entrusts to me.

Prophesying, serving, teaching, encouraging, giving, leading, showing kindness and loving are God’s gifts. The list isn’t complete but mastering it takes a lifetime. Speaking God’s Word isn’t always popular, serving and giving require sacrifice, teaching entails preparation, leading those who don’t want to follow is challenging, showing kindness to mean spirited people is difficult, and loving the unlovable tests anyone’s character.

But I’ve learned what I can’t do-and shouldn’t try to do, in my own strength, God can do through me. He provides what’s necessary for any project he delegates or mission he sends me on. The only requirement is trust and obedience.

Are you doing your best with all God gives or just what you enjoy most? Learn to see everything as an opportunity.

Prayer: God, enable us to give You our best and nothing less.

You can receive these devotions in your email by entering your address on the blog sidebar and clicking submit. Also, please share this with a friend.

2 comments:

  1. I'm visiting from blog hop. I grew up the same way with perfectionist parents. Although I didn't see the wisdom of it then, I do now. I'm grateful they instilled in me the desire to do my best, because it makes me want to give my best to my Father in heaven. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete