Thursday, February 23, 2012

Rekindled Love

I had all the symptoms: sweaty palms, nervous stomach, and rapid heartbeat. But I wasn’t sick, just in love-or so I thought.

Puppy love, kitten love, a crush. The warm feeling children or adolescents have for a person of the opposite sex. So named because it resembles love for warm, cuddly puppies. But puppy love doesn’t survive unless it matures into real love which sticks around regardless.

The church in Ephesus had a difficult time with their love for Christ. The city boasted of idolatry, immorality and witchcraft, and the church was nestled right in the middle. Many believers spent more time with these strange bedfellows than Jesus. So John says; Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. (Revelation 2:4)

Time and over familiarity can dampen real love. I trusted Christ as Savior at nine years of age. Forty one years later-if I’m not careful, I think I’ve got God figured out so I don’t need as much time with him anymore. Spiritual disciplines become insignificant. Or I forget the warm feeling and excitement I had when I first believed. No more rapid heartbeat or sweaty palms. The same sun that melts chocolate hardens clay.

Growing and lasting love requires stoking just like embers in a fireplace. Left alone, they cool and the fire dies. Embers need romancing and so does our love for God and other true loves. If you’ve forsaken your first love, it’s never too late for a little rekindling. Pick up a Bible, spend time in prayer, buy a bouquet of flowers, cook a meal, go to the grocery store…You get the idea.

Prayer: Help us treasure You dear Lord and those You’ve given us to love.

2 comments:

  1. So true, Martin. I have come to realize that I need to work on my relationship with Christ the same way I work on any relationship. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that to be true in my own life as well. I have gone through "seasons" of closeness and drifting away. I have had to make a concious effort to re-aquaint myself with Him - even though I don't feel like it at the time. Soon, "that lovin' feelin'" comes back!
    Thanks!
    Latisha
    confessionofamartha.blogspot.com

    (I stopped by via "bless a blogger")

    ReplyDelete