Friday, January 20, 2012

Crushed Expectations

Matthew 11:8 Or were you expecting to see a man dressed in expensive clothes? No, people with expensive clothes live in palaces. (NLT)

At twelve, I dreamed of teaching Religion in college or seminary. After taking a few detours, I made it to college but never as a teacher. Plans of becoming a professor were changed by economic events and a several hundred mile move. I’ve experienced some of my great expectations while others have flattened like pierced balloons. John the Baptist wasn’t what many expected, but then neither was Jesus the royal Messiah John expected. And John certainly wasn’t dressed like the forerunner of a monarch. When things don’t pan out as I imagine, I can sulk or seek God’s counsel. I may not completely understand the latter but it’s always forward moving and results in enlightenment. It’s also possible my expectations aren’t God’s. When they aren’t, I’ll travel in the wrong direction and get disappointing results. How much better to get it right from the start.

Aligning our plans with God’s brings happiness and peaceful existence.

4 comments:

  1. How thankful I am that He knows how to lead us, and how to fix us too!
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our disappointments, God is working His best plan. I remind myself of that often -- God's plan is better than anything I could imagine. It just may take a while for me to to see it. Great post to get me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been really meditating on this because my one word 365 word is "EXPECT". I have become so crushed by my false expectations, that I fell into the rut of not expecting anything at all. He is helping me to hope again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dealing with some crushed expectations right now - but I know God wants me to adapt those expectations in a hope-in-faith kind of way. I have to get over the unexpected hurt and learn to love my way through it to find God's expectations.

    ReplyDelete