Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Clingy Love

Matthew 10:39 If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it. (NLT)

Of my two children, one was clingy and the other wasn’t. As a small child, all my daughter required was a clean diaper, full stomach and a room filled with stuffed animals to play in. When provided, she was satisfied until one of the first two needed attention. Since going to college and working consumed most of my time, her unclingy nature was helpful. My son, on the other hand, required undivided attention. Playing with toys required him and someone else present. Jesus warns about clinging to the wrong life-attitudes or actions that steal one’s focus from spiritual disciplines enabling spiritual growth. He must have known my tendency to hang on to the tangible by craving power, lusting after popularity, and yearning for material play toys. Making these priorities forfeits life. I might not die immediately, but when I do I won’t carry these temporary accolades and accomplishments with me. To find life, I must give it up, but I don’t have to die. I simply cling to heavenly treasures instead of earthly ones.

Successful lives are built by clinging to God’s intention that we put his agenda first and love him supremely.
copyright by Martin W. Wiles, 2012

1 comment: