Monday, October 3, 2016

Pride's Deep Slice - Martin Wiles

Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Proverbs 11:2 NLT

Perhaps I was judging when I shouldn’t have been, but my first impression was one of pride and arrogance.

Jansen was the head of a medium sized organization. He and I were acquaintances, but little more. He needed someone to fill a certain position in which I was skilled and invited me to join. From the beginning, I felt I had made a mistake. Jansen paraded around like the sole cock in the chicken yard. He made the rules; no one was asked their opinion. Anyone who dared to buck his system was scathingly rebuked. 

Something about Jansen just didn’t seem right to me, but I simply assumed my first time impression was wrong. Rarely did he speak to anyone unless he was spoken to first. In spite of his mannerisms and prideful personality, people were drawn to his charismatic personality. 

Jansen’s pride, however, came home to roost. Thirteen years after coming to the organization, it was discovered he had been carrying on extramarital affairs with numerous women in and outside of the organization. He was soundly rebuked by the ruling board and his resignation requested. Pride sliced him deeply and brought him down. 

Pride will do for anyone what it did for Jansen. When I’m proud, I’m thinking more of myself than I should. While I shouldn’t think less of myself than is healthy, I must remember that I am who I am solely because of what Jesus Christ has done for me. As a Christ follower, I’ve been given His righteousness, but I had nothing to do with being worthy of it. 

Pride will repel others. Jansen may have had a winning personality, but there were just as many who avoided his organization because of his arrogance. No one enjoys hanging around with someone who thinks they are better than others. 

Pride also interferes with my dependence on God. When pride controls me, I’ll think I can handle life myself, forgetting I can only do all things through Christ…not me. 

Pride will eventually lead to a downfall as it did with Jansen. What the downfall might be or how severe the consequences are will vary, but the bringing down by God will happen. 

Don’t let pride slice you. Stay humble, and remember you are who you are solely because of the grace and mercy of God. 

Prayer: Father, remove pride from our lives so we can serve You with humility as You did us. 


Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment