Monday, August 15, 2016

Life on Loan - Martin Wiles

But God said to him, “You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get it all?” Luke 12:20 NLT

A day’s plans can change in a moment.

Since we’re a one car family, my wife normally carts me back and forth to work. On this particular day, she let me drive. As I attempted to put the car in reverse, I heard a snap and then noticed the gear shift didn’t look quite right. It hung limply against the steering column. Within a couple of hours, a tow truck had carted it to the local Ford dealership, and I had called my mom to see if we could borrow her car. 

There was never a question about who owned the car I would temporarily drive. I didn’t treat it as if it was mine because I knew I had to return it. I was more careful than normal with my driving and made sure I kept the inside and outside as clean as possible. Mom never said, “You can’t have this car,” but she didn’t have to. I knew it was on loan. 

The rich fool forgot his life was on loan. He had a fertile farm that was producing an abundant crop. He had money to build larger storage buildings to accommodate the overflow. He planned to sit back and enjoy life’s pleasures—until God interrupted his plans and reminded him his life wasn’t his own.  

While I don’t have the means to do anything I desire in life, it’s easy to adopt the same mindset as the rich fool. Life was about him and no one else. But life isn’t all about me. God loaned it to me. He created me in my mother’s womb and had a plan in place before my birth. 

One day, God will call for full payment of the loan, and I’ll stand before my Creator to give an account of how well I’ve taken care of what He entrusted to me. Did I keep the inside and outside clean? Did I treat it selfishly or use it to do His work? Did I live as if I thought I’d never have to return it to Him? 

The gifts, talents, and opportunities we have are not inherent or developed by chance. God has ingrained and loaned them. How are you using what God has entrusted to you? 

One day, God will call for full payment. 

Prayer: Father, may we always remember our lives are on loan from You. 


Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.  


Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment