Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Leaders Lead - Martin Wiles

And it was only right that he should make Jesus, through his suffering, a perfect leader, fit to bring them into their salvation. Hebrews 2:10 NLT

As he pondered whether to go to Ecuador or India, his family and friends suggested youth ministry in the states. But international missions was his call. On February 21, 1952, Jim Elliot and Pete Fleming arrived in Ecuador, began working with the Quechua Indians, and made plans to begin missionary work with the Huaorani. Elliot and four other missionaries had made contact with them from an airplane and felt good about visiting them. Before their arrival, however, another indigenous group of people lied to the Huaorani about the missionaries’ intentions. Huaorani warriors awaited them. When they arrived, they were murdered. An earlier journal entry by Elliot reveals the heart of a leader: “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

Through the suffering Christ experienced during his short ministry and more so through what he endured on the cross, he was made a perfect leader. He identified with humanity’s experience, and by giving his sinless life in their behalf, he brought salvation.

When I’m expecting God to speak to my spirit, I’ll hear his voice and obey. Many thought Jim Elliot should have stayed in the states. He heard another voice telling him to serve internationally. Jesus heard Satan’s voice which told him to take a short cut to accomplish God’s will, but he listened to the higher voice who told him to go to the cross.

If I’m to lead effectively, I must be willing to sacrifice. Jim Elliott gave up a great deal—and eventually his life. Jesus did the same, and he taught that I must serve to be great in his kingdom. If I lead with pride instead of humility, I won’t be the leader he desires.

Vision is also necessary when I lead. Jim Elliot’s was converting the Ecuadorian Indians to Christ. Jesus’ was saving humanity. Mine will be specific to me, my circumstances, and my time. When I ask, God will reveal it and give me the wisdom to lead others to see it as well. 

What steps can you take to become a more godly and effective leader?

Prayer: God of wisdom, give us insight, courage, faith, and strength to lead those You’ve entrusted to our care. 


______________________________


Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

6 comments:

  1. My parents came to Ecuador partly because of Jim Elliot and the book that was written about his life. I did not read the book, or other books that there are about him and the other men, or see the movie but long after I had come here and lived here. I actually visited Jim's old house and the school that is named after him and then read the book. The funny thing is that I had been working with the school and the special ed kids and teacher there for more than a year, before I even made the connection. My dad was visiting with us when the principal once again started to talk about Jaime Elliot and we finally understood that Jaime was Jim. Life can be strange and God has a sense of humor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting Joanna. Thanks for sharing that.

      Delete
  2. So many good people with good intentions try to talk others out of God's plans for their life. I pray daily not to be a person with good intentions, but that God would show me clearly whom to encourage when and whom to discourage in their plans. I would hate to be the person who talked someone out of doing what God had called them to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post...how we all need to listen to our Heavenly Father as He speaks to us through His Word, and be willing to follow Him, no matter where it leads. Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete