Thursday, April 17, 2014

Never beyond God’s Reach by Martin Wiles

God’s arm can reach where others’ arms cannot. 

Life had collapsed. I was falling into the grips of depression but didn’t realize it. Everything I had labored for was gradually slipping from my hands. What I thought was stable proved unstable. Aches and pains were appearing in various places and worrying me in the process. Nights were almost unbearable. Filled with tossing, turning, worrying, thinking, and trying to garner the strength for another day. What I supposed was a normal mid-night trip to the bathroom turned into a fainting episode that landed me in the hospital. Tests revealed nothing. I was simply depressed. 

Though I often felt I was sinking into a bottomless pit, I discovered I was never beyond God’s reach. The psalmist understood the same truth. If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me. (Psalm 139:9-10 NLT)

I’m never beyond God’s grasp because he’s omnipresent. This is a big theological word that simply means I can’t go anywhere God isn’t. On the mountain, in the valley, in the ICU, in depression, in the hospital, in a wreck, in a terminal disease, in an abusive relationship. Wherever I am—and in whatever state of mind I am, God is there.

Along with God’s presence, I can be assured of his knowledge. Omniscient is the theological word describing this aspect of God’s character. Not only is he wherever I am but he also knows the situation’s intimate details. His all-knowing is accompanied by the wisdom to carry me through each of those circumstances.

God is also omnipotent. All powerful. Nothing evil or challenging that comes against me is greater than his power to transform it for my good and his glory. And in the process he’ll transform me into the image of his Son. 

Regardless of the situation you’re in, you’re never beyond God’s reach.

Prayer: Remind us, dear Lord, that our lives—and every aspect of them, are securely held in your powerfully wise hands. 

Begin each day with a dose of encouraging thoughts. Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment