Saturday, December 14, 2013

What Will Your Bio Say? by Martin Wiles

At the end of my life, what will my biography say? Will I be proud or ashamed?

My bookshelves house a number of biographies about famous individuals. People who were presidents, people who held high-ranking political offices, people who occupied notary positions, and people who simply made their mark on history. I doubt a biography about me will ever be written, but whether my biography ever makes it into print is immaterial—I’m writing it every day. And like a written biography, it includes such things as where I’ve worked, who belongs in my family, and the accomplishments I’ve made. More importantly, what I’ve done for others, my moral stance, and my emotional reactions will also be recorded.

But I don’t have to fret over what my biography should say. God has made it plain. No, O people, the LORD has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8 NLT)

God expects me to do the right thing whether anyone is looking or not but especially when they are. This is the difference between true integrity and simply attempting to make an impression. Impressing others is important, but if I miss impressing God in the process I’ve missed the goal.

God wants my biography to include loving mercy. I’ve experienced his grace and mercy through forgiveness and salvation, and he wants me to channel his mercy to others. The world will always need just a little more of this behavior.

Humility completes the list. Not thinking more highly of myself than I should. Putting others before myself. Realizing life isn’t about me but about serving God and others. 

I choose to write my biography with these principal qualities in mind. Will you? 

Prayer: All Powerful God, enable us to write our biographies through a lifestyle that honors You. 

Begin each day with a dose of encouraging thoughts. Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment