Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Reflections by Martin Wiles

As I walked through my office, dusting every shelf, I realized life had become too busy.

Pictures of deceased and living relatives sit idly on my book shelves. Rocks from places I’ve visited on mission trips and vacations nestle closely by. Rocks from places like Colorado, Nova Scotia, and Maine. And also other mementoes that belonged to family members. As the feather duster gently glided around each one, I suddenly recognized it had been far too long since I had thought about some of these important people in my life.

As the children of Israel languished on the outskirts of the Promised Land, Moses challenged them to reflect on what God had done for them—especially how he had preserved them through 40 years in the wilderness. Remember how the LORD your God led you through the wilderness for these forty years. (Deuteronomy 8:2 NLT).

According to the writer of Hebrews, I’m surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses who are gazing on as I run this race of life (Hebrews 12:1). Some are living, and others have passed to the other side. Taking time to reflect gives me down time to remember the lifestyle examples they left as well as to reflect on the teachings they considered important. Fortunately, my genealogical line is bulging with many honorable witnesses.

Busyness is one of Satan’s strategies to get me so focused on living life that I don’t have time to reflect. Life then loses its purpose and meaning. I find myself scurrying from one task to another with no time to reflect…just time to complete what’s in my immediate present and around the next corner.

Reflection accomplishes the opposite. I recall who I am now and realize it’s because of where I came from…because of the people in my past. Reflection re-orients me in the proper direction. Have you reflected lately?

Prayer: Father in heaven, may the reflections of our hearts and minds re-orient our life and re-focus our attention.

Need a fresh perspective on money matters? Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment