Saturday, September 28, 2013

Helping Hands by Martin Wiles

The doctor’s words shocked us: “You have one on each foot. I can do one at a time or both at the same time.”

We decided for both, and for the next two weeks I helped my wife recover from planter’s wart surgery. If we went to the store, I pushed her in a wheelchair. At home, I helped her from point A to B by holding one of her arms while she hobbled on her heels. Without my helping hands, she would’ve been confined to her recliner.

Aaron and Hur lent helping hands to Moses as they sat on the mountaintop watching Joshua and the Israelite army fight their enemies. When Moses raised his hands, Israel prevailed, but when he lowered them the enemy succeeded. Without Aaron and Hur’s supporting hands, Israel would have lost the battle. So Aaron and Hur found a stone for him (Moses) to sit on. Then they stood on each side of Moses, holding up his hands (Exodus 17:12 NLT).

We all need supporting hands from time to time, and one way I can lend them is through intercessory prayer. My prayers were once self-centered. All about what I needed and what God could do for me and how. As I grew spiritually, I realized life is about loving God more intimately and caring for others more aggressively.

I can also use my hands through my presence as Aaron and Hur did with Moses. Sometimes there are just not any words that can take away another’s hurt and pain, but my being there—letting them share, vent, and even cry, is often enough.

My hands also support others when I protect them against others who would abuse them physically, emotionally, and even spiritually.

Let God show you how your hands can be helping instead of hurting.

Prayer: Thank You God for using us as Your helping hands to demonstrate Your love to a hurting world.

Martin N MichelleHelp spread the encouragement by sharing this site with a friend.

2 comments:

  1. My mind went on chasing, as I read your post, with who could I help?
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martin
    I am in the third week of a Fm/CFS flare-up and need my husband's hands to do so much for me. I can make myself a cup of coffee and that is about all. I am so grateful for him being Jesus hands and heart to me.
    Much love XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete