Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Letting the Light Shine by Martin Wiles

Today it’s an extremely rare job, but at one time in history their work was essential.

Historically, lamplighters were employed by towns to light lamps. And the name seems to fit. Using a wick mounted on a long pole, the lamplighter ventured out each evening and lit street lamps. The following morning he’d return with the same pole and use the snuffer to extinguish them. By the nineteenth century, most lamps were oil but still required a lamplighter to ignite them. In their time period, lamplighters were crucial.

According to Jesus, lamplighters are still indispensable and are discovered in his children. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven (Matthew 5:16 NKJV).

Jesus said he was the light of the world, and as his representatives in the world, believers are too. Just as candles are extinguished with a snuffer or by placing a top on them, so there are things that can keep our light from shining brightly…selfishness and disobedience among them. I can’t let my light shine for others when it’s constantly shining for or on me. Nor will my light shine brightly when I’m obstinately dishonoring God’s commands with my lifestyle.

The world we’re instructed to light comes in various sizes, but with God’s help we can effectively shine on it. By doing good deeds, using my spiritual gifts, and honing my natural talents I can ignite my world. And you can too. Adopt a prisoner, train for Disaster Relief, be faithful to your family, be loyal to your employer, visit the elderly, help deliver meals to seniors, teach a child, mentor a youth. The list is endless, and God will reveal where he wants your light to shine if you’ll just ask.

Prayer: Help us merciful Lord to light our worlds in such a way that others see Your love and desire a closer relationship with You.

Pre-order your copy of my newest book by Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas. Now available from Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. Good analogy and examples, Martin. Thanks for this reminder to keep my light shining. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin, I appreciate your lamplighter analogy. This is a great reminder to let our light shine for His glory.
    Thanks for visiting my blog today!
    Blessings to you ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete