Thursday, November 1, 2012

Principles Worth Pursuing-Loving God Supremely by Martin Wiles

Series: Principles Worth Pursuing

I knew of him but didn’t know him intimately. And even after meeting him intimately, I didn’t love him supremely.

Before I could comprehend him, I heard about God. Mom reading Bible stories to me while I was still in her womb. She and Dad having devotions together and me hearing God’s Word and a prayer. Later, I understood and invited Jesus to become my Savior. But it was fifteen years later before I loved him enough to say; “Lord, whatever You want, I’ll do.” And that prayer took my life in a radically different direction.

David gave his son the same advice my parents gave me-get to know God. And Solomon, my son, learn to know the God of your ancestors intimately (I Chronicles 28:9 NLT). Knowing God and loving him supremely produce different results. Supreme love entails putting God ahead of any earthly relationships I have regardless of how intimate they are.

Loving God supremely alters my activities. Some things I enjoy must fall lower on the importance scale so what God has in mind for me can inch upwards. God doesn’t want me to be miserable-and I can enjoy activities outside the church, but he wants me to maintain my focus.

Giving God first place also modifies my view of earthly possessions. It’s perfectly acceptable to enjoy what God gives, but intense satisfaction is only reached by using my possessions to serve him by serving others. I can’t take my money with me when I die-or anything else, but I can store it in heaven by helping someone with financial needs I have the capacity to meet.

Let God change your life by loving him supremely.

Prayer: Eternal God, whose love manifested itself in ultimate sacrifice, turn our hearts supremely toward You in love and service.

No comments:

Post a Comment