Monday, January 2, 2012

Love Warns

Matthew 10:16 Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves. (NLT)

“Don’t go near the road.” “Don’t touch the hot stove.” “Never talk to strangers.” My parents warned me about these things, and I passed the warning along to my children. I warned because I loved them and coveted their safety. Some of the warnings instructed so they would make wise decisions and avoid harmful ones: “Be careful about borrowing money. You must pay it back,” and “Make sure your income is greater than your outgo.” Jesus endows us with gifts, then sends us out to use them but also warns about what’s ahead. Many won’t care to hear our message. Some will harm us. Others will try to undermine our efforts. As harmless doves, we must respond in love. As shrewd snakes, we must use wisdom and the most effective methods. We cannot keep God’s love to ourselves. Regardless of the circumstances we face while sharing it, God is always nearby, protecting and guiding.

Love with action and without fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment