Monday, January 23, 2012

Heavy Burdens

Matthew 11:30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light. (NLT)

I was proud of my new hiking boots but made a foolish mistake. I wore them backpacking without breaking them in. The second day out, a quarter sized blister appeared on the side of my heel infringing upon my ability to enjoy the remainder of the journey. Carrying a 45 pound pack only intensified the pain. I spent the next three days nursing my wound to prevent infection. Jesus promises light burdens. One translation says, My yoke fits perfectly, but I’ve carried a few that didn’t seem to fit and they certainly weren’t light. Trouble arises when we try to carry the yoke instead of letting Jesus man it. He will never give a burden lacking purpose or one so heavy we can’t bear with his assistance. Our burdens aren’t designed to be carried alone.

When God fits you with a burden, ask
  • What are you teaching me?
  • How should I respond? or
  • What in my life needs eliminating or rearranging?


           
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...