Monday, January 23, 2012

Heavy Burdens

Matthew 11:30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light. (NLT)

I was proud of my new hiking boots but made a foolish mistake. I wore them backpacking without breaking them in. The second day out, a quarter sized blister appeared on the side of my heel infringing upon my ability to enjoy the remainder of the journey. Carrying a 45 pound pack only intensified the pain. I spent the next three days nursing my wound to prevent infection. Jesus promises light burdens. One translation says, My yoke fits perfectly, but I’ve carried a few that didn’t seem to fit and they certainly weren’t light. Trouble arises when we try to carry the yoke instead of letting Jesus man it. He will never give a burden lacking purpose or one so heavy we can’t bear with his assistance. Our burdens aren’t designed to be carried alone.

When God fits you with a burden, ask
  • What are you teaching me?
  • How should I respond? or
  • What in my life needs eliminating or rearranging?


           

5 comments:

  1. The best part of being yoked with Jesus...is the word "with"! He promises to never leave us. During times of trial or heavy burden, He is there, helping us along. He has encouraged me so many times as I have faced difficulty. He strengthens, He comforts, He heals! Being yoked with Jesus, is a blessing beyond words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great reminder that we always have hope despite our circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopped from Bless a Blogger! I love how you turned your situation into a God story. So many times God is trying to show us things, but we are so wrapped up in the stuff of life that we miss what He has for us! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visited you from Bless a Blogger! So thankful for the reminder of God's faithfulness in teaching us lessons through the trials, carrying us through them and remaining with us until we reach the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Checking in from Bless A Blogger! God is great to give us reminders through everyday experiences that we aren't meant to walk alone! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete