Monday, January 16, 2017

Wrong Is Never Right - Martin Wiles

What sorrow for those who say that evil is good and good is evil. Isaiah 5:20 NLT

Clay was normally a good student, but on this particular day, he chose to break the rules.

I sat with my back partially to the class, teaching from a power point about verbs. I could see most of them with my peripheral vision, including Clay who sat in the very back. As I taught, I noticed his hand continually slipping in and out of his pocket. Each time I looked at him, he gazed back with an innocent look. 

Toward the end of class, I remarked, “By the way, I know you’ve been eating.”

Quick to defend himself, he pulled out a piece of candy and said, “But I’ve only eaten one.” 

My look of disbelief convicted him. “Okay, two,” he said, “but I didn’t get to finish my breakfast this morning, and I didn’t have my milk."

His remark was so comical that I—along with the rest of the class, melted into a pool of laughter. Still yet, what he did was against the rules. 

Isaiah pronounced a “woe” upon those who called good evil and evil good. Their values were twisted. Clay’s actions proved the mistake still existed. 

Though people and times many have changed, God’s standards haven’t. He still has an ethical and social code He expects us to obey. I can remember when even those who weren’t believers followed God’s code simply because most of society did. 

Not so many years ago, then-President Ronald Reagan said, "Without God, there is no virtue because there's no prompting of the conscience. If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." 

Right and wrong should not be determined by circumstances. Doing so leads to situational ethics. What was wrong in the beginning is still wrong and will be when time ends, regardless of whether I think God should change His mind. And following the majority is often the wrong thing for me to do. While the majority may win the vote, they can still be wrong—and are about many forms of behavior currently accepted as permissible. 

God’s standards are based on His nature, which is characterized by holiness and goodness. I can be sure God is not out to make my life miserable. Following His guidelines will result in the best possible life there is to live. 

Satisfaction and joy never result from calling evil good. 

Prayer: Father, may our standards always replicate those detailed in Your Word.

Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles for 20% off. Click here to see selections.







Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment