Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Lying to Yourself - Martin Wiles

Keep me from lying to myself; give me the privilege of knowing your instructions. Psalm 119:29 NLT

I was telling myself a big one, and the trouble was I believed it. My lie began about the time I turned 14. It went something like this: “You don’t need school.” If I didn’t need school, I didn’t need to study either. So I did very little of it. 

After I started driving, another lie popped up. If I didn’t need school or need to study, what was the purpose in going? Every opportunity I got, I ditched class. By the time I reached the twelfth grade, the lie had grown. School wasn’t important, studying wasn’t essential, attending was optional. Why go at all? So I quit. I found a full time job at a grocery store but had to lie about being out of school to get it. After several months, they cut my position. I finally decided to tell myself the truth: I needed an education. 

Knowing God’s Word is a privilege. One which keeps me from lying to myself. When I know God’s Word, I won’t lie by telling myself I’m okay and don’t need God. Rather I’ll believe the verse that reads, For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23. 

Neither will I lie by telling myself I’ll live forever. I might as well live it up without worrying about whom I’m hurting. For the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23) squashes that lie. 

If I lie to myself by believing there’s no God I’m accountable to, I read The fool has said in his heart there is no God Psalm 14:1. 

And if I imagine I can get to heaven by any route I choose, I find, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father except by me (Jesus) John 14:6. 

Lies are always harmful, but the ones affecting my present happiness and eternal destiny are more so. Others may lie to and about me. I may lie to myself. But God will never lie. His Word contains unchanging truth that doesn’t vary by time period or culture. 

Feed on the truth from God’s Word. 

Prayer: Father, thank You that we can always depend on You to tell us the truth about sin and about ourselves.

Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles and get a 20% discount on any book. Click here to see selections.  






Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment