Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Lying to Yourself - Martin Wiles

Keep me from lying to myself; give me the privilege of knowing your instructions. Psalm 119:29 NLT

I was telling myself a big one, and the trouble was I believed it. My lie began about the time I turned 14. It went something like this: “You don’t need school.” If I didn’t need school, I didn’t need to study either. So I did very little of it. 

After I started driving, another lie popped up. If I didn’t need school or need to study, what was the purpose in going? Every opportunity I got, I ditched class. By the time I reached the twelfth grade, the lie had grown. School wasn’t important, studying wasn’t essential, attending was optional. Why go at all? So I quit. I found a full time job at a grocery store but had to lie about being out of school to get it. After several months, they cut my position. I finally decided to tell myself the truth: I needed an education. 

Knowing God’s Word is a privilege. One which keeps me from lying to myself. When I know God’s Word, I won’t lie by telling myself I’m okay and don’t need God. Rather I’ll believe the verse that reads, For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23. 

Neither will I lie by telling myself I’ll live forever. I might as well live it up without worrying about whom I’m hurting. For the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23) squashes that lie. 

If I lie to myself by believing there’s no God I’m accountable to, I read The fool has said in his heart there is no God Psalm 14:1. 

And if I imagine I can get to heaven by any route I choose, I find, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father except by me (Jesus) John 14:6. 

Lies are always harmful, but the ones affecting my present happiness and eternal destiny are more so. Others may lie to and about me. I may lie to myself. But God will never lie. His Word contains unchanging truth that doesn’t vary by time period or culture. 

Feed on the truth from God’s Word. 

Prayer: Father, thank You that we can always depend on You to tell us the truth about sin and about ourselves.

Looking for a wide selection of genres in Christian books at discount prices? Use coupon MWiles and get a 20% discount on any book. Click here to see selections.  






Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...