Thursday, September 11, 2014

When Is Jesus Coming Back? - Martin Wiles

Series: Hey God…I Have a Question

What exactly will a teenager do when left home alone while his parents go on vacation?

My rebellious activity was extremely evident to my parents. Knowing this, why they chose to leave me alone while they went on a week’s vacation to a city 900 miles away puzzles me. Perhaps they wanted to demonstrate their trust in me. Maybe it was because I worked a part-time job, and they didn’t want me to miss work. Possibly it was because they knew what it was like to leave your friends during summer vacation. Sadly, I didn’t earn their trust with my behavior while they were gone. They never discovered all the things I did—nor did I ever tell them, but they would have been disappointed had they known. I had friends over, and we did things we shouldn’t have. I was out at hours long past my curfew. But I knew when they were returning, and I made sure everything was in order by the time they did. 

Of his return, Jesus says, However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows. (Mark 13:32 NLT)

Jesus plainly states no one knows the day or time of his return. In his humanness, even he didn’t know. In spite of his explicit statement, many have predicted when it would be and what specific events would unfold prior to it. Some have exceeded the boundaries by assigning specific dates and then writing a book to warn people so they can prepare. 

When Jesus will return is unknowable. The Bible gives certain warning signs, but they are occurrences that have been repeated in one form or another throughout history. Trying to establish a specific date is disobedience to Jesus’ express statement. More important than judging the times is being ready when he does appear—which is a certainty. Living a holy lifestyle, participating in spiritual disciplines, and sharing my faith with others readies me to meet my Lord whenever he comes. 

How are you preparing for Christ’s return?

Prayer: Prepare us Father for the return of Your Son and our eternity with You in heaven. 

Enter to win a free copy of my newest book, Grits & Grace & God. Visit the following link and sign up: https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/99040-grace-grits-god-manna-from-heaven-served-up-southern-style

No comments:

Post a Comment