Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Is Suicide an Unpardonable Sin? - Martin Wiles

Series: Hey God…I Have a Question

I became a believer at an early age. Had I now lost what I had gained?

Growing up the son of a preacher man, biblical rules and regulations were ingrained into me from an early age. The “Thou shall not’s” seemed to outweigh the “Thou shalt’s.” Eventually I tired of trying to attain standards that seemed unfair and tiresome. Shameful and sinful acts followed. Frequently the question, “How could you call yourself a Christian and do this,” would lope through my mind. Had I committed the unpardonable sin? Had I lost the salvation God had so graciously given me? 

Many of Jesus’ contemporaries didn’t believe he was the Messiah. His miracles were proof for some, but others did more than doubt. They attributed his demon exorcising powers to Satan. To them, Jesus gave this warning: Anyone who speaks against the Son of Man can be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. (Luke 12:10 NLT)

Bible scholars differ over whether this unpardonable sin can still be committed. Since Jesus is no longer here, it’s impossible to attribute an express act of his to Satan. I can only attribute his work through others to Satan. 

But is any other sin unpardonable? Suicide tops the list and has been proposed by some as a sin that will even send a believer to hell. The Bible, however, doesn’t mention this sad act as unpardonable…although it is certainly unconfessable. Unbelief until the end of my life is the only unpardonable sin. During life, God will pardon my unbelief if I ask, but death ends any opportunity to change my mind. Jesus said, He who doesn’t believe is already condemned (John 3:18). 

Satan may try to convince me I’m no good, beyond saving, and that my circumstances are unbearable and will never change. God gives a brighter picture. Jesus died for the forgiveness of all sins. He will pardon any and all we choose to ask forgiveness for. None are too great that his blood can’t cover. Let him handle your sins and your fears.

Prayer: Thank You Lord Jesus that Your blood is sufficient to cover all our sins. 

Martin N Michelle
Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment