Monday, June 23, 2014

Suffering Patiently by Martin Wiles

She suffers patiently. I’m not sure I could under her circumstances.

Though a relatively young woman, my wife suffers from numerous health issues. Fibromyalgia makes each day painful. Several hernia surgeries prevent her from doing heavy lifting. Asthma makes exercising outside nearly impossible. The “ritis” brothers…degenerative and osteo, make moving on any given day a new experience in pain. In spite of medication, the pain remains intense which in turn can affect her emotional moods. Yet I’m continually amazed at how patiently she suffers. She refuses to allow the pain to master her and even does things she knows will intensify her pain…things she perceives are associated with being a wife, mother, and grandmother. 

Suffering accompanies life. How we respond to it speaks volumes about our character and trust in God. For examples of patience in suffering, dear brothers and sisters, look at the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. (James 5:10 NLT)

The sources of suffering vary. For the prophets of old—as well as current perpetrators of the gospel, it was sinful people who demonstrated hatred for the gospel by harming or killing its carriers. A sin-tainted world manufactures suffering. Things don’t last—neither do our bodies. Decay is inherent in all things and people. My poor choices can lead to suffering, leaving me to languish in emotional or financial pain. And of course, God can use suffering as a disciplinary measure to get my attention. 

Suffering patiently comes by stopping the sinful or poor choices I’m making as well as accepting the consequences. God normally doesn’t remove these. If God is disciplining, I must eek out the lesson he’s attempting to teach me. And of course, prayer, trusting God, and associating with other believers always makes the suffering easier to endure and learn from. 

Let God teach you how to suffer patiently as you look forward to the day when all pain and sorrow will be erased.

Prayer: Merciful God, we anticipate with excitement our eternal home where pain will be absent forevermore. Until then, give us the strength and patience to endure this world’s suffering. 

Martin N MichelleKnow a friend who could you a dose of encouragement? Why not share this post with them? 

1 comment:

  1. I am so sure that the Lord will take care us in pain and in sickness and give rest and freedom and heal us I m self been healed from pain in the legs and and from distress and so much worry has bees my life but today I am free indeed with Christa let the healing flow in you and be comfort and loved and the Holy Spirits moving in you in Jesus name all those who are suffering rightnow ,thanks and bless and joy,keijo sweden

    ReplyDelete