Monday, June 2, 2014

Jesus Wants Us to Have Peace by Martin Wiles

(All material is original to the author with the exception of songs and activities which have been borrowed from various sources. All studies are free for public use.)

Jesus Wants Us to Have Peace
Scripture Reference: Galatians 5:22-23 (NLT)
Related Scripture References: Luke 8:22-25; Matthew 14:22-33; John 16:33
(Compiled and written by Martin W. Wiles)

Objectives: To teach children that Jesus wants them to have peace rather than to worry; and also to remind children that God will protect them in all circumstances. 

Sing “I’ve Got Peace like a River”


I've got peace like a river
I've got peace like a river
I've got peace like a river in my soul
I've got peace like a river
I've got peace like a river
I've got peace like a river in my soul.
I've got love like an ocean
I've got love like an ocean
I've got love like an ocean in my soul
I've got love like an ocean
I've got love like an ocean
I've got love like an ocean in my soul.
I've got joy like a fountain
I've got joy like a fountain
I've got joy like a fountain in my soul
I've got joy like a fountain
I've got joy like a fountain
I've got joy like a fountain in my soul.
I've got peace, love and joy like a river
I've got peace, love and joy like a river
I've got peace, love and joy like a river in my soul
I've got peace, love and joy like a river
I've got peace, love and joy like a river in my soul.

Icebreaker:

Say: Remember during the months of January and February, we are studying about fruit that doesn’t grow on trees. 

Ask: 
Have you ever been in a bad thunderstorm and gotten scared? Or do you know someone who had a hurricane hit where they live? What about a tornado? 
What are other things that frighten you? The dark, strangers, kids that bully you? 
What do you normally do when you get afraid? Cry, hide, scream, run to your parents?

Say: God wants fruit to hang from our lives just as it does from real trees. (Continue to work with children to help them memorize the following verses.) Galatians 5:22-23 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! (NLT)

Transition into letting the children know God wants them to have peace. Fear is the opposite of peace. Give children the opportunity to share some other things that might frighten them and to discuss in more detail some of the things you or they have shared earlier. Remind them that God will protect them no matter what the situation is. Tell them God is with them in the dark just like he is when they can see. Discuss situations where their friends or other children at school might pick on them and frighten them. Ask them what might cause someone to make fun of them. Guide them to such answers as because they are trying to obey God’s commands, because they obey their parents, because they want to make good grades, or because they are kind to others. 

Even though God will protect us, he still expects us to do things to protect ourselves. This may be an appropriate time to talk with children about strangers. If a stranger comes to their school, they should listen to their teacher’s instructions. Remind them never to get in cars with strangers or to go anywhere with a stranger. Be careful not to instill a spirit of fear in the children. Rather guide them to trust God to take care of them. Believing God will protect them gives them a sense of peace. Introduce the word faith to the children and have them tell what they think it means. Ask them to give some example of how we show faith. 

Activity Break:
Let children draw and color something on a blank sheet of paper that represents “Peace.” Then let them explain what the picture is showing. 


Reinforcement Segment: 
(Be sensitive to the fact that some of the children may come from family situations where there is little peace. Children can be frightened when their parents fight or when their parents yell at them. These and other family situations can steal their peace.) Be prepared to tell the children the following story from Luke 8:22-25 of how Jesus’ disciples were afraid when a storm came up while they were in a boat on a lake. 

One day Jesus and his disciples got into a boat and set sail for the other side of the Sea of Galilee. Jesus was tired, and before long he had fallen asleep in the back of the boat. Suddenly, a strong storm arose. The wind blew the tiny boat around, the water was splashing over the bow, and the disciples were afraid they were going to sink and drown. They woke Jesus up and asked him to help them. Jesus spoke to the wind and waters, and the wind stopped blowing, and the sea became calm. 

Ask: What does this story teach us about trusting Jesus to protect us and give us peace when we are in danger? Is it always easy to trust God to take care of you? 

Take Away Story: Matthew 14:22-33 Teacher should read this story ahead of time to become familiar with the elements. Emphasize that Jesus always knows what we are facing.

Once Jesus had a crowd of people surrounding him. Some wanted to be healed from physical diseases, and others just wanted to see Jesus perform miracles. After Jesus fed over 5,000 people with five loaves of bread and two fish, he sent the crowds away and told his disciples to cross over to the other side of the lake. He went up on the mountain to pray to his heavenly Father. When Jesus’ disciples were in the middle of the lake, a storm came up. The little boat was battered by waves, and the disciples were very afraid. Suddenly, they saw Jesus walking on the water and coming to help them. When he got in the boat, the storm stopped. Once again, he brought peace. 

Wrap Up: Read John 16:33 (NLT) I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.

Take Away Questions:
When you are feeling afraid, what can you do? Guide the children to answers such as pray, read their Bible, go to church, talk with their parents, and talk with their friends.

When your friends are afraid, what can you tell them about how Jesus gives peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment