Saturday, May 3, 2014

Defined by Martin Wiles

Our past can destroy us, define us, or develop us.

I’ve worn a few labels in my lifetime. One was “four eyes.” When I was in elementary school, my teacher and parents noticed my squinting eyes. A trip to the optometrist confirmed their suspicions: I needed glasses. Glasses weren’t popular, and those who sported them were labeled and laughed at. Another label I wore was “skinny.” Unlike most of my friends, I hosted a beanpole shape that made me a poor candidate for sports. Not playing sports resulted in the label “sissy.” I was also so skinny that my breastbone protruded enough for others to see through my shirts. This resulted in the label “chicken breast.” Fortunately, none of the definitions were true. Nor did I let them define my future.

How I think is important. For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he. (Proverbs 23:7 KJV)

While the old adage, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me,” isn’t completely true, the definitions others give me aren’t important at the end of the day. The labels God attaches are. 

If I allow God to forgive my sins by believing in the work his Son accomplished on Calvary, he defines me as his child. I’m his child presently and will be in the future and throughout eternity. Nothing can snatch me from his hand or change my status.

When in a relationship with God, I’m also his friend. Being God’s child is wonderful. There are many benefits involved. But being his friend is more joyous. All of the benefits of a human friendship are available plus many more. 

Additionally, God defines me as a saint. The label doesn’t mean I’m super spiritual but that I’ve been set apart for God and his work. He sees me in Christ who is my righteousness. Sure I still sin, but it’s now the exception rather than the rule. 

Is believing labels from your past or present preventing you from being all God wants you to be? 

Prayer: Thank You Father for defining us with positive labels that reflect Your glory and plans for us. 

Begin each day with a dose of encouraging thoughts. Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment