Monday, March 3, 2014

Wise…But in Whose Eyes by Martin Wiles

What appears as wisdom to one may very well look like foolishness to another. 

Know-it-all’s. Very few people like hanging around them…me included. I attended college with a few. I was an A student and probably knew as much or more as the majority of my classmates, but I held my tongue and avoided making comments or answering questions when possible. I didn’t want to appear as one of those I diligently avoided. Yet in every class, there was at least one. Always raising their hand to make a comment. Consistently trying to add something to what the professor taught. Proposing a delightful dilemma they thought they alone had figured out. And all with a smirky smile on their face that shouted, “Nanny nanny boo boo, I know more than you.”

Wisdom from God behaves differently. If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom. (James 3:13 NLT)

Godly wisdom doesn’t stir the pot by showing off of participating in gossipy conversations. Showing off demonstrates pride, and stirring the pot is elevating the tension in situations rather working to bring peace. Nor does it brag or display pompous attitudes that give evidence that life is all about me. When I’m wise in my own eyes, some or all of these negative traits will appear.

Godly wisdom, however, is reflected in a quiet character. Through good deeds performed with an unselfish attitude, I disseminate wisdom to people and a world that often needs it. My words will be born out of humility and careful selection not pride. I will be sincere, always putting the good of others before my own. These qualities make me wise in God’s eyes and in the eyes of others.

What kind of wisdom are you parading in front of others?

Prayer: Lord Jesus, may the wisdom we broadcast be wisdom that pleases You and enhances Your kingdom. 

Begin each day with a dose of encouraging thoughts. Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment