Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Mixing Up Values by Martin Wiles

God says certain things are right and wrong, but what happens when the lines blur or when I don’t see things God’s way?

One of my favorite desserts—especially during the holiday season, is ambrosia. Making a huge bowl of it was a tradition my mother and grandmothers held to rigorously. Though all three had their unique blend, it was always delicious. Ambrosia is a mixture of numerous fruits including apples, oranges, bananas, and pears. Some throw in a little coconut and raisins. While the synchronization of flavors is tongue tantalizing, the mixture makes it difficult to distinguish the various fruit tastes.   

While such a blend is tasty for a dessert, it isn’t when it applies to my values. What sorrow for those who say that evil is good and good is evil that dark is light and light is dark, that bitter is sweet and sweet is bitter. (Isaiah 5:20 NLT)

Values are my guidelines for living. They guide my thoughts and more importantly my actions. When forming them, I can advance in one of two directions. One is labeled situational ethics. My opinion of what is right or wrong is based on the situation at hand. The end of this road is ethical ambrosia. I lose my taste for the right things and gravitate toward mixed up living—although perhaps more flavorable at the moment.

A more appropriate mix is basing my values on God’s Word. Values are only correct when they match God’s values, which he has recorded and given examples of in the Bible. His values haven’t changed since the beginning of time. Nor are they situational in nature. Murder has always been wrong and still is. As is lying, cheating, stealing, etc. 

When I establish my values on anything other than God’s Word, it leads to disobedience as well as confused and uncertain living. What are you basing your values on? 

Prayer: Father in heaven, motivate us to form and live out values based on Your Word. 

Begin each day with a dose of encouraging thoughts. Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment