Monday, November 18, 2013

Fall Back Not Under by Martin Wiles

Germany and its World War I Allies began the practice on April 30, 1916, as a way to conserve coal. America soon followed suit.

When I was a child, I relished the extra daylight hours Daylight Savings Time provided. There was more time to play outside with my friends. But in the fall, I loathed the long hours of darkness.

As an adult, the “falling back one hour”—along with the decreased amount of light, often leads me and hundreds of others into a gloomy and sometimes depressed mood physicians have labeled the “winter blues”—and in its more severe form SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). I find myself out of energy and struggling to make it through the day. My body craves more light…more vigor.

David knew nothing about DST or SAD, but he did know a little about being down in the dumps. I waited patiently for the LORD to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground. (Psalm 40:1-2 NLT)

Practical advice for fighting SAD includes having a well lit home during the winter months and going outside on warm days to soak up sunshine. A light box or fluorescent lights are also good investments. In more serious cases, physicians can prescribe anti-depressants.

But any or all of the above should be combined with letting more of the Son in. I can flood my soul with spiritual exercises just as I flood my home with artificial light. As I sit by the bright lights I can read and meditate on God’s Word, journal my thoughts, reflect on how God has met my needs in the past and in the present, and praise him for all the good things in life.

Don’t let Satan tempt you to fall under when all you’ve really done is fall back.

Prayer: Merciful Father, when the blues set in, encourage us to trust You to drive them away.


Need a fresh perspective on money matters? Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. I experienced this when my husband and I moved to Illinois. We had a month of no sun one January. Having grown up in CA and not being used to this weather, I was amazed how this affected me. I wish I had been pointed to the Son when I was struggling through that month. Blessings! Rachael @ Inking the Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the darker days do make me a tad depressed. I have to force myself to get in a walk with the dogs each morning just to get my quota of sunshine. Thank you for reinforcement and reminders.

    ReplyDelete