Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Defined by Convictions by Martin Wiles

There were at least three I determined I would not compromise.

Convictions are beliefs I think are important enough to stand by regardless of the temptation to do otherwise. I fashioned three early in life: I wouldn’t cheat, I wouldn’t have premarital sex, and I wouldn’t fight. There were times in school when I didn’t know the material because I hadn’t studied. I could have glanced sideways, but I took the failing grade instead. And I had opportunities to have sexual relationships before marriage, but I held firm. Some of my convictions offended others who in turn wanted to fight me. I never threw a punch.

Daniel was a man of conviction also. But Daniel was determined not to defile himself by eating the food and wine given to them by the king (Daniel 1:8 NLT). After being instructed to eat food his religion considered defiled, he resolved to stand by his convictions.

My convictions define me. They reveal my character and demonstrate my integrity. In fact, they are what they are because of the character I possess. To close friends and associates, I’m known as a person who won’t do…or say…. If I act in ways contrary to my convictions, they are shocked.

The convictions I had as a young person—and the ones I have now, are based on God’s Word. And this is how I planned it. What God says I should and shouldn’t do is important. Once I build them, I hang onto them regardless. Sure, there have been occasions when I slipped and fell, but with God’s help I stood back up and moved on.

My convictions should also influence others. When they run contrary to the norm—and God’s commands normally do, this is a natural result.

What convictions have you formed that you are not willing to compromise?
Martin N Michelle
Prayer: All powerful God, assist us in forming godly convictions, and give us strength to stand by them through thick and thin.


Help spread the encouragement by sharing this site with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment