Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Forgiving Me by Martin Wiles

I was tired of my parent’s rules and regulations. Since I could drive and owned a car, I packed my belongings and a few groceries and hit the road.

Since I loved the mountains, I headed for the hills of North Carolina. Winter was in full force, and I soon found myself stranded in snow and ice. I walked to a nearby hotel to summon help. No sooner had I made the call than a police cruiser sauntered up and ushered me to the local station.

I’m quite sure my parents held no grudge against me for my unwise behavior, but I also had to forgive myself for rewarding them with theft and dishonor. Years later, this single verse helped me forgive myself as God had forgiven me. So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1 NLT).

Forgiving others for wrongs they’ve committed against me is only one small piece of the forgiveness puzzle. I must also forgive myself if I’m to be used fully in God’s kingdom work.

Feeling guilt over actions or thoughts God has forgiven and I’ve confessed is false guilt. The source may be Satan, others, or my misunderstanding about forgiveness, but it isn’t God. He only convicts when my behavior contradicts his commands and hasn’t been admitted.

Understanding that Christ has paid for all my sins frees me from the burden of false guilt. Confession is my acknowledgment of failure, but Christ has secured the forgiveness. When I forgive myself for past failures, I can move on with God’s work and my life. Self forgiveness is also my recognition that while forgiven I’m certainly not perfect.

Failure to forgive yourself for sins Christ has paid for only holds you back when he desires you forge ahead. Free yourself from unforgiveness so God can free you.

Prayer: Forgiving Savior, help us release what You’ve forgiven so we can serve You with a clear conscience.

Do you know someone who might need a daily dose of encouragement? Why not forward this site to them? 

2 comments:

  1. "Forgiving ourselves" is all about trusting God isn't it! It's about stopping looking in to see how WE feel and to start looking up to see that God has already thrown that sin in the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Thank You Honey's Whatever Wednesday!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete