Friday, May 3, 2013

In the Nick of Time by Martin Wiles

We were riding on fumes, a check was in the mail, but it wasn’t in our box.

Four days had passed since the business manager told me the payment for my article was placed in the mail. My wife was anxious, and our car was thirsty. Unfortunately, I gave the wrong mailing address.

When we discovered the error, the investigation began. The address I gave was in our subdivision, so my wife was able to secure the cell number for the resident. Sure enough, she had received my check but didn’t know us and was about to shred it when my wife called. We were able to retrieve the check, deposit it in the bank, and satisfy our car’s thirst.

Some might explain our good fortune as luck or coincidence. We prefer to call it living by faith. Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you (I Peter 5: 7 NLT).

Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, so guidance is available for any situation that arises. I was planning to wait until the following day to investigate, but my wife-who was driving the thirsty car, had the forethought not to procrastinate. And since the lady was about to shred our check, it’s a good thing she didn’t.

But wisdom isn’t automatic. Philosophical wisdom is attained through the educational process. Spiritual wisdom, however, is procured through a consistent prayer life which keeps me close to God so I can hear him speak…whether it’s because I’m off track or because I need common sense guidance to investigate a missing check today instead of tomorrow.

Never assume you can handle all of life’s situations on your own. Keep in touch with the One who sees not only the present but also the future.

Prayer: We confess, O Lord, our need for Your daily guidance so our steps will be productive and our spirits renewed.

Do you know someone who might need a daily dose of encouragement? Why not forward this site to them? 

1 comment:

  1. What a party last week on Friday Flash Blog! Thanks for joining us. I hope you’ve visited some of the other community members and you're having a splendid week.

    Jennifer
    thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete