Thursday, April 25, 2013

Casting the Bread by Martin Wiles

As if things aren’t cheap enough at yard sales, my wife tends to lower them even more.

While participating in a spring fling sale at a local resale shop, a couple with a small child approached our table and poured over our Jell-O molds. My wife…noticing their antics, offered them all three for a dollar instead of one dollar each. A neighboring vendor scolded her…as did I. But she can’t help it. Her heart won’t let her act any differently.

Later in the day, a fellow vendor was re-locating her booth and offered us some items free of charge. In return, my wife sold her our cedar chest for a giveaway price. Once again, I gently scolded her. But later that day a fellow church member directed me to a gas station where he promptly filled my tank with $50 dollars of fuel-more than the amount we lost in the cedar chest and Jell-O mold sale.

My wife cast our bread on the water, and God noticed. Cast your bread upon the waters, For you will find it after many days (Ecclesiastes 11:1 NKJV).

A negative parallel of this positive suggestion is “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.” I cast when I invest in others…spiritually and otherwise. God rewarded my wife’s casting by prompting someone to invest in us. 

Recognizing life is more about God and others rather than me re-directs my actions. I spend time with God so I can learn to stop acting like a spiritually selfish child. I look for opportunities to serve others because I know it’s evidence of my love for God and because it demonstrates my appreciation for the ultimate sacrifice of his Son for the forgiveness of my sins.

Don’t let fear of casting keep you from tossing out a few crumbs.

Prayer: Merciful Father, prompt us to take what You entrust to us and cast it into the lives of others.

From Lighthouse Publising of the Carolinas. Now available for pre-order from Amazon.com. 


No comments:

Post a Comment