Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Full in Christ by Martin Wiles

Seventy five miles to empty. Fifty five miles to empty. Then a light and message: “Low Fuel.” Sounds and messages I’ve never heard or witnessed in more than thirty five years of driving but ones that are common now.

My gas needle hasn’t tickled the “Full” mark in months. Rising fuels costs and lower than average wages are the culprits that have forced me to drive with the message section of the odometer glaring continuously in my face. Riding on fumes bottles me in a state of anxiety, and wondering where the next twenty dollars will come from-or if it will, rattles my nerves.

Fortunately the level of my spiritual tank isn’t determined by rising fuel costs or my dearth of funds. Depth is determined by what Jesus did on my behalf and my response to it. For you know that God paid a ransom to save you from the empty life you inherited from your ancestors. And the ransom he paid was not mere gold or silver (I Peter 1:18 NLT).

While I can’t keep my gas tank full continuously (unless I fill it and park the car), I can maintain a satiated spiritual level even though the bank account may be a little dusty. I’m filled with forgiveness by accepting through faith the act of mercy Christ performed on my behalf. Living in a sinful world consumes my fuel, but there’s no monetary issue involved in spiritual refilling. All that’s required is a daily trip to God’s Word for a fueling of comfort, encouragement, and direction along with regular visits to my prayer room. Coupling these with sharing my faith and hobnobbing with other believers keeps my tank full and my faith strong. Christ provides our spiritual fuel; we simply have to “fill her up.”

Prayer: Thank You merciful Lord Jesus for paying the ransom that we might be set free from the emptiness of sinful living. We relish in Your forgiveness and the fullness it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment